Image Source: Simply Bloom
Ah New Year’s, a time for reflection on the year that just passed and hopeful planning for the year ahead. I’ve never been a fan of the unattainable resolutions though, they only make you feel bad about yourself. I think 2013 was the first year that I really tried to keep to my resolutions past January – though I’ll admit they all had to do with things I enjoyed already.
Last year I promised I would:
- Have a signature drink at each get together we hosted – This was literally a “self-serving” resolution and one that I had even more fun doing than I first expected. We tried a good number of new cocktails this year and added a few to our “go-to” party list – like the Leap Year or Gin Swizzles. You can find the complete list of cocktails here.
- Become a Yelp Elite member – This was another fun one to achieve. I had been writing Yelp reviews off and on since 2008, but decided that 2013 was going to be the year I became Elite. As a Yelp Elite member you are invited to new restaurant openings or events at existing restaurants when they have new menus or features. Basically it is like inviting food critics to your restaurant – except the food critics are ordinary everyday people who would actually come to your restaurant on a normal basis. Due to my busy schedule, I was only able to attend one of these events – but I had a great time and am really looking forward to attending more this year.
- Read 25 books – I was SO close to accomplishing this one! I read 23 books in 2013. Kind of bummed I didn’t get to my goal this year, but when I look back at the list of books I read, I’m really happy with it. There were some really great stories that I won’t be forgetting and definitely had book hangovers for, like The Power of One, Born to Run, and The Secret History.
Looking at 2014, I think I’ll take the same approach as last year and choose resolutions that I am sure to enjoy/be happy I’ll have it done.
- I WILL read 25 books in 2014. I was so close last year that it just proves that I can do it this year. I’m even going to include a little book counter on here so you all can keep me honest 😉
- Switch over my old IRA’s/401k’s from my old jobs to our new account – I know, this one isn’t exactly a “fun” one – but I will certainly feel accomplished once I’ve done it.
- Try every drink in Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist – I was given this fantastic book by my brother and soon-to-be sister-in-law for Christmas. How perfect is that?!? It not only has alcoholic cocktails but some really yummy looking mocktails for my friends that don’t drink. I think this will be a fun twist on last year’s signature drinks.
- Finally order our wedding album – I know, I know, it’s been over a year now since our wedding. This is something that I know Mark and I will have a lot of fun creating with the help of our photographers at Wyckoff-Tweedie. My parents already beat us to the punch and ordered an album for themselves. We can’t wait to have one of our own to look back on one of the happiest days of our lives.
All and all, I think 2014 will be another fun year, filled with cheerful get togethers and wonderful memories. I’m looking forward to keeping these resolutions this year, and maybe adding a few more as the year progresses.
Do you have any fun resolutions for the year?